Marks of Power
THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY FAMILY
The majority of the people of Doman worship “The Holy Family” as a single entity. Individual orders exist for the five Gods but most Temples contain areas of worship for all of the Family. Prayers and offerings are made to individual Gods depending on a person’s needs. All of the Gods are Unaligned and Divine characters can worship any God no matter their alignment. Clerics, Runepriests and Invokers generally worship the Family as a whole while Avengers and Paladins usually belong to orders devoted to one God in particular. A Divine character who worships the Family as a whole can choose any Domain associated to any of the five Gods.
DOMAINS: Civilization, Hope, Life, Sun
The creator and DIVINE ruler, “The Sunfather” is the most powerful member of the Family. He is the bringer of light and the patron of Kings. He despises the Undead and the mockery they make of Life. Priests devoted to “The Sunfather” often serve as advisors to leaders and, more often than not, run the major temples. Those who wish to follow his edicts must:
- Strive to be an inspiration to others and lead by example.
- Bring light to dark places and be ever watchful of those seek corruption.
- Seek out and destroy the Undead and those who traffic with dark forces.
DOMAINS: Earth, Wilderness, Sea, Storm
Guardian of the PRIMAL wilderness, “The Earthmother” seeks harmony and balance with nature. She is the Goddess of the smallest creatures and the mightiest storms. Her priests have a tenuous relationship with Druids; both serve “The Earthmother” but the priests are more focused on how people interact with nature while the Druids relate more to the creatures and plants they feel charged with protecting. Her commands are simple:
- Strive to find harmony in the wild places, do not take more from nature than you require.
- Respect the predator and the prey, understand that while nature might seem savage, everything plays it’s part for the greater whole.
- Treat those who seek to harm nature and the balance with the ferocity of a mother protecting it’s offspring.
”THE SON OF BATTLE”
DOMAINS: Destruction, Strength, War, Protection
The lord of MARTIAL prowess and glory, “The Son of Battle” revels in armed combat and sport. He represents the chaotic duality of war and prizes honor and wonton violence equally. Military orders dedicated to him exist all across Doman and the gladiators of Themul, the buccaneers of the Free Isles and soldiers everywhere pay “The Son” homage. He asks little of his followers:
- Show strength and courage in the heat of battle, but know that death and destruction must come from war waged properly.
- Keep your body in peak physical form, sloth and inaction are anathema to a strong spirit.
- Face all challenges with vigor and tenacity, failure is never an option.
”THE DAUGHTER ARCANA”
DOMAINS: Arcana, Knowledge, Skill, Fate
The keeper of ARCANE secrets and mistress of fate, “The Daughter Arcana” embodies knowledge earned through study. She gave “The Gift” to Doman and is the author of “The Oracle.” Her priests tend to be scholars and librarians and most centers of learning are dedicated to her. Since the Order of the Magi was founded in her name the Church considers the Order to be a holy organization and as such, subject to their commands. For the most part the Magi ignore the Church and there isn’t much they can do about it. Her teachings are thus:
- Understand that knowledge is power, always seek to accumulate it, but be ever watchful that it does not corrupt.
- Seek out fresh ideas and new experiences, only by expanding one’s horizons and being open to the possible can one grow.
- Know that there will always be those who seek to hoard knowledge, or stamp out innovation. Never let them succeed.
”THE BLACK SHEEP”
DOMAINS: Change, Freedom, Luck, Trickery
An enigmatic SHADOW, “The Black Sheep” forever seeks change. While not an evil deity, he is popular amongst those on the fringe of society who thrive on anarchy and lawlessness. He is also the patron of lost causes and the unwanted so many orphanages and asylums are run by orders of “The Sheep.” If he bothered with doctrine it would undoubtedly be something like this:
- Question authority, even when someone appears to be doing the right thing, it doesn’t mean they are doing it for the right reasons.
- Put yourself above no-one; arrogance and exclusivity may seem fun at the time, but has a tendency to come around and bite you on the ass.
- The status quo is highly overrated and routines are for the unimaginative. Always strive to be your own person.
The guiding principle of all the Psionic paths, “The Way” is really more of a philosophy than a religion. Certainly the Humans and Devan from the Empire of the South who follow “The Way” attribute no God to it. Instead practitioners seek an inner peace they call Enjuko. They believe that once they reach this perfect state they will transcend the mortal world and move on to the next plane of existence. Most Church leaders dismiss this as “hoo doo nonsense” while they secretly pray that there is no truth to it.
”THE ONE TRUE GOD”
This religion was founded shortly after the King’s War and spread like wildfire in the region now known as Calaran. Doctrine states that the Holy Family failed Doman when they allowed the Warlock King to exist. Only the One True God holds dominion and the false Gods of the Family are little more than demons. They believe that all magic is evil and anyone who practices it is a Witch that should be put to the question. Fear and paranoia seem to be the primary tools that priests of the One True God use to spread the gospel.